Sunday, December 13, 2009

America's Got Talent? Why we're addicted to "Reality"

Some theories about America's (and a large part of the American-pop culture-watching globe) obsession with Reality TV hold that the people in general have a voyeuristic curiosity about their fellow people. This might partly explain why shows like American Idol or Big Brother attract a following that doesn't seem to abate.

I don't know all the theories postulated about this quirky but revenue generating phenomenon, but as an avid couch potato, I have some thoughts of my own.

I've been watching TV since childhood, my earliest brush with the "reality" genre must have been World Wrestling Federation (WWF), though my belief in WWF's inherent reality was rudely shattered when I was told by my father that it was all theatre. Then I was mesmerised by the Amazing Race, I fell in love if you will, with the first season of competing "pairs" because each played to our most fundamental caricatured stereotypes: the roly-poly best friends who were the de facto comic relief (my faves); the bickering engaged couple who had no direction sense to save their lives; the cliched underdog mother-daughter team whom everyone openly rooted for but secretly thought were damn weak. This type of competitive shows (with the million dollar "reward" of course) played my social self like a violin -- we all "know" these strangers on TV, because we've "seen" them all our lives, in our newspapers, stories, our friends and family. That's why we feel impelled to watch and root for people we've never met and never will meet - because they represent who we know, what we think we know, and yes, who we ARE.

What do I mean? Well, forget biodegradable trash disguised as television like The Simple Life (Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie cavorting with cows and shocking American Midwesterners with their seeming allergy to menial labour) or that show with the plain vanilla couple that has 10 or so kids. The only reason why people would waste their limited brain cells watching Paris Hilton select her "best friend" over 12 episodes is because their fascination with Celebrity stems from their innate hatred of their banality.

Whoa, you say, hold on there, am I saying you watch E! News because you hate your boring little life? Absolutely.

Celebrities have been catapulted this century to the forefront of global awareness by the ubiquity of mass media and the defencelessness of us globally-connected citizens to control what's on TV. At most, we can change channels but what you don't see is the insidiousness of a program like The Simple Life or American Idol which taps into your most fundamental psyche: your hopes, your fears and your dreams.

"Reality" television shows like American Idol tap into the ordinary person's secret desire to be - you guessed it - great. Great as in: successful, famous and most of all, to find their Place In the Sun (or Hollywood, whichever you prefer).

When I watch Project Runway (the only reality show I bother with) the moment that gives me greatest satisfaction is in seeing the emotions of the winner as her name is announced. It's different from Survivor or shows where people fight tooth, nail and shamelessness to get to the million dollars. No, Project Runway (as in many other shows with a similar concept)plays on the viewer's sense of MERITOCRACY - that talent and perseverance will win you the day. The winners say the same things each season: "I worked at it, I believed in myself and my vision, I didn't quit". These are words of vindication, and the subtext? "People with talent and the passion to pursue their aspirations can achieve what you and I only dream of in our drab little everyday lives."

And why not?
I'm not begrudging them their trophy or triumph. In fact, getting this not so subtle message even gives me a little twinge of feel-good Hopefulness that perhaps even myself, ordinary old Viv, might someday find her place in the sun. And I reckon I feel this way because every day I carry within me the gaping hole that is my inner emptiness.

An emptiness that gapes stupidly back at me whenever I ask it: where do I belong?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suffering from loneliness or a lack of natal/cultural rootedness. It is an emptiness that can only be filled by passion. Passion like the stuff you see on Project Runway, where designers sweat and sew their talent into their garments every week, working towards the Grand Objective of becoming the next Miuccia Prada or Alexander McQueen; the passion that drives aspiring chefs to bite down on whatever snarky abuse Gordon Ramsey is going to spew at them on his show. Even the short-term passion you see on American Idol (those winners who slipped back into the mediocre, psychologically-disordered little rocks they crawled out from under before winning American Idol)or Singapore Idol or America's Next Top Model is better than no passion at all.

Purpose.
I asked Daniel what his overarching purpose in life was. It was certainly achievable, given hard work and some smarts which he definitely possesses. It could be mine as well, except if it were, I would not be sitting here at 7pm on the sofa writing an infernally long blogpost about my deep-seated purposelessness after watching a reality show. I would be like many others out there either riding the surf at Wavehouse Sentosa (passion arising from short-term gratification), or working on passing the CFA and landing a job in finance (short term passion arising from financial insecurity) or trying to kickstart a career as lead singer of a band (long term passion arising from wishful thinking).

I look at my friends (not literally) and see them getting married, having a kid or two, being wherever they are in the world because either their spouses or their jobs took them there. I wonder to myself: is there anything more inspiring than roosting and monetary accruance? I have only one friend I know who is putting herself on the line and risking not just her parents' financial investment to realise her aspiration of being self-employed and financially independent. One out of many, many people. Those I knew who poured money into learning the things they loved (art, fashion, music) eventually went on to work for other people because they had bills to pay. But at least they did something out of PASSION, and not because IT'S THE RIGHT TIME TO GET MARRIED, HAVE 2.1 CHILDREN & BUY A PRIVATE CONDOMINIUM AND KEEP WORKING IN MY PASSIONLESS JOB IN ORDER TO SUSTAIN THE ABOVE THREE PRISONS I LANDED MYSELF IN.

Every day I think about this life full of people who live it to its fullest socially-approved mediocrity and I shudder with dread with just as much icy fear that this is all I am hoping for.

1 comment:

DilettanteP said...

Well, at least you are writing again Babe!!!

You are really good at that, you know? Why do I say that?

Because you write with PASSION and effortless charm! You should never stop at it!

Life becomes mediocre when you stop working at it and FEELING for it!;)

Sometimes it takes time to look for that "oomph" in life but you are not far from it!:D