So this week I've been wrapping my head around toys for Ju. His entire world revolves around the articles he can reach for in his line of vision, moving objects and blinking lights. I believe he's at the stage where he's exploring shapes, textures and maybe which objects feel best against his gums. I like HABA from Germany but it's frigging expensive to buy them from retailers here, so I checked online and Amazon.de stocks a great variety, of course with free delivery within Germany.
But there's also a pretty good online retailer, Cozyiotoys, that stocks a range from Haba -- called Educo -- and delivers free within Singapore if you buy $100 worth. You might be tempted by the Japanese range, they look so enticing, but the quality is inferior to Educo. My friend who has a 15-month-old has tested them out. The prices are comparable to Amazon after you do the Euro-to-SGD conversion and free delivery does it for me. They aren't cheap though, but at least you know you aren't paying for a retailer's Orchard Road shop-rental.
Educo Pull-Along Mini-Block Cart $24
Early Melodies Tambourine $28
Educo 50pc Maple Block Set $32
Happy Hour Clock $25
(I bought this one to make up a hundred dollars for the free delivery)
I bought the items above specifically for Ju's coming stages of development. They are great for fine motor skills and for teaching him colours, shapes and numbers. When he starts to walk (which I reckon might be soon), he can pull the wagon along. Cozyio doesn't stock the Haba range and I wanted a boy-doll for Ju. Haba has a great boy-doll (and other girl dolls), Lukas, which I will order from Amazon.de:
Haba's Lukas doll (comes with his rat)
The age-appropriateness of a doll would be between 12 and 18 months but it's never too early to start moral education, in my opinion. Ju will meet Lukas before his first birthday. At this moment, Ju likes rattles, clappers and chew toys -- anything that fits in his small hands and makes a delightful noise when shaken. We also let him play with the soft dice (from Haba, a gift from our friends) and teach him the colours when he grabs at them. He seems to get ball-throwing too, though he tosses the ball out of his hands without the ability to direct his action. We just pick it up and throw or roll it back towards him, which he anticipates. He can keep up this repetitive game for 5 to 10 minutes.
However, he still doesn't get gravity -- my attempts to build a tower of soft dice gets little interest from him. He simple swipes at the dice, dismantling the tower, but is completely oblivious to the concept of objects falling from a height. I will keep it up until he gets it.
POSTSCRIPT (1 December):
The order arrived last night! It was hand-delivered and I can say I was very satisfied with the condition and the quality of the toys. Tobi smelt the blocks and declared it smelled like "good paint" instead of some toys which have a funny smell. They were made in China of course, but what isn't these days? They passed quality control I guess. Now to see how long they last. This might take a while....



No comments:
Post a Comment