Friday, July 01, 2011

Project Baby Week 6: New Life, No Life

I was planning to write a post about one of my favourite social issues since our Acting Minister for MCYS made another blah statement on the dismal rate of marriage here. He said that Singaporeans should "change their mindsets" towards marriage, I suppose he means the single people ought to cast aside their romanticised and/or unrealistic ideals about marriage, quoting his perspective of his own marriage as having been one of "committment".

But as I slump on my breastmilk-stained couch next to the Incredible Milker who has finally gone to sleep after a restless morning, I decided to discard that idea and talk about the reality of housewife-lihood instead.

I've been up since 7am and till now I have accomplished the following: 8am feed/burp/change, the laundry, 10am feed/burp/change, bottle-washing and sterilising, cooking lunch (and some facebook), 12pm feed/burp/change plus an unexpected pee emergency during the change. It is exactly 20 minutes to 2pm, the next feed/burp/change, and it is all I can do to resist guzzling down my beer-laced rootbeer.

As you can see, I am chained to the baby and my daily life is dictated by his tummy which seems to have an automated timer which triggers his familiar scowl and yells if I do not pay attention and get his bottle or boob ready on the mark. I live in fear of every second hour.

I welcome the days when either my Mum or my aunt comes by in the morning to relieve me for a few hours. Yesterday I scooted to the mall to run my errands. It's great having this adorable ball of baby that grows and changes day by day, but it's also great to get out for dinner or a drink with other childless people to remind myself that life can still be full of meaningful interaction and possibilities beyond the next diaper change.

It's a lot of getting used to, and I don't mean the routine I just described above. I need to find a strategy of engaging my mind in activity that is more meaningful than the trivial pursuits of Facebook, tv and blank daydreams.

But first I have to figure out how to get any time out of my current schedule to do that, because my 20 minutes are up and it's time for the next feed/burp/change.

No comments: