Thursday, July 28, 2011

Project Baby Week 10: Out And About

I am one of those people who get a heart attack the moment their baby starts bawling in an enclosed public space, particularly a restaurant or airplane cabin. For someone who drives, I am also jittery about taking Ju on public transport. Today we made our maiden journey on the MRT and it went quite swimmingly.

Dhoby Ghaut and Orchard stations are quite disabled/baby friendly with lifts and ramps as well as those bumps on the ground leading you to the nearest lift as soon as you alight. The only irritation are the able-bodied people (without strollers) who use the lift as well. Even at 6pm (rush hour), my fears were somewhat allayed when I managed to cram myself and Ju into an almost-full carriage. Luckily we only rode for two stops and it was fine.

Time really flies when you're out with a 2 month old, and it positively streaks at the speed of light when you are two babies. Lunch and coffee took a total of 2 hours, feeds and diaper changes included. The thing that one must really get used to is looking for the lift as well as the ramps when you're faced with stairs. That takes the most time after feeding. Luckily Ju didn't need much burping today, probably because he was kind of upright in his carseat most of the time. He seemed to be fascinated by everything around him so much so that he didn't even get hungry at his usual 2 hour mark. He only got grumpy when he woke from his nap, but he was really attentive when he was awake, delighting passersby with his earnest and boyish handsomeness!

Being out and about today gave me a sense of achievement I haven't felt in a while. It sounds ridiculous of course, but when you spend most of your time on the couch at home, being out with a baby doing "normal" stuff in the city feels like running and completing a marathon. I guess there is such a risk as having too much help that you wind up sitting on your ass until someone comes to babysit so that you can go out. But seeing that Ju seems to enjoy having different things to see, I shall take him out more often. After all, I should make the most of the rest of the time I have with him before I go back to the office.

No comments: