n
David Garrett is someone you would consider a "cool" classical violinist, I discovered him while browsing through Youtube for Schubert's "Standchen", my most recent piano obsession. Garrett's mother was an American (he took her maiden name) and father, a German lawyer from Aachen. I like this rendition, but mostly because of the symphony in the background. He got a little too squeaky for me in the later section and this piece is really, for me, too emotive for Garrett's interpretation.
"Standchen" (or Serenade) is the 9th song that Franz Schubert wrote, based on the poem by Ludwig Gellstab. There are a total of 14 songs in the collection, Schwanengesang (or Swan Song) but obviously, Standchen stands out most. It was published in 1829 after Schubert's death. The piano score was transcribed later by Franz Lizst - explains why I had such a hard time locating it.
In terms of progress, I've got the first few bars down, but I really can't get much serious practice in because Ju is usually on my lap when I play and he doesn't really allow me to use both hands effectively while containing his wriggling body and palms pounding on the keyboard.
Here is Valentina Lisitsa's interpretation, it's of course, magical.
No comments:
Post a Comment