So finally I am starting to chronicle my - our - latest project: Baby. I am 15 weeks pregnant this week and it has taken me this long to write about it because I have been in the toilet bowl and the darkest, most miserable recesses of my mind since week 7. Coming out of the worst phases of my first trimester, I am pleased to announce that Baby is doing alright, meaning all tests and scans so far are normal, much to my and Daniel's relief. The other thing is - you guessed it - Baby looks like a boy. The doc would not committ 100%, but he was as surprised as we were during our 13th week scan to see a little dangly bit between Baby's legs. So Julien, he will be, until he or she proves otherwise.
Week 4 - September
I was deliriously happy to see two lines on the test stick! In fact, it was only the 4th month we had "tried" to get pregnant, and rather half-heartedly too, because I had to go to India for work (3 weeks) in October and we had purposely chosen a "safe" window to have our Quality Time....but oh my, looks like the reason we had not gotten lucky the past 3 months was because the online ovulation calculator had timed my ovulation a week early and we had been doing it the wrong time all the while! But we were in the club now, and India was out. So off we went to our first Ob/gyn appointment, had a scan and then got married! (this one we planned since June.)
Week 5 to 6 - Spotting
Being pregnant was just fine, I didn't feel any different and I wondered if I was gonna be one of the lucky few who could get away with no morning sickness. My Mum disabused me of that soon enough, she said hers came at week 6 and lasted till week 12. In week 6 I started getting some spotting and the doc checked me over - all seemed okay. He put me on progesterone to boost the development of the fetus. The bleeding went away in a few days.
Week 7 - All day sickness
It finally came. Like a recurrent nightmare happening ALL THE TIME. I was crawling around in bed, scrunched up on the floor in my cubicle, running to the toilet bowl every 2 hours and swearing I would NEVER again have a baby. It's not just the nausea, vomiting and all-day bloatedness that is bad, your whole mental state becomes that of a depressive patient. When I was not shouting at people on the phone, I was thinking of ending it all, period.
Week 8 to 10 - Still all day sickness
Eating too little made me sick, eating too much made me puke. I could not drink any water as it was too bland and tepid and would make me puke. I lived on Yakult, canned green tea, 100 Plus, yoghurt and whatever was on offer at the cafeteria in the mornings. Surprisingly, breakfast was the only meal that didn't kill me after ingesting it. I didn't want to go to work because I didn't feel like getting dressed, doing my face and being in the bloody sickening air-conditioning from 8am to 6pm. Pimples were breaking out all over and in the unthinkable places - like my chest! I looked like shit, felt like shit and did not want to go out, see anyone or be anywhere.
Week 11 - Getting better
I didn't have to take the progesterone anymore and the vomiting was easing up to once or twice a day, usually after a big dinner. My food intake was by no means large, in fact eating the same amount as I would normally eat would be too much for me. I didn't snack, just had two small breakfasts most days, and then normal lunch and dinner after that. My pants and skirts were getting tighter but I had only gained 1 kg. Still looked like shit and didn't feel like putting on makeup.
Week 12 to 13 - Stabilised
I finally stopped vomiting, the taste of chewed and semi-processed food was no more! The NT scan went well and all my blood tests came back normal. I gained another 1 kg and started using a safety pin with my pants. I consented to going out and meeting people again (much to Daniel's relief) but the newest adjustment was alcohol abstinence. That really sucks. I still sip Daniel's wine from time to time though.
Week 14 - It's a boy?
The doc said it's likely to be one, but we shall have to look again next time since Baby is still developing his sex organs. Everyone asked me if I was disappointed - I'm not really, I wanted a girl badly, but I am just thankful it's healthy. Besides, Daniel is pleased as punch. At least I can say all the shit on my face is cos of his testosterone runnign around inside me! I burp a lot after ingesting anything, and gagging is now a regular part of my day, it's preferable to puking of course, but still annoying. I live in fear of a urinary tract infection cos of the reduced amount of water I am drinking. It's really frustrating when I can't drink normally and this puts me at UTI risk. My bladder is starting to feel compressed and my belly is sticking out more, even though I don't look at all preggie, said Daniel. All in, I have only gained 3 kg.
1 comment:
Great- you survived first trimester and Julien is a lovely name! Well done vivi- keep updating the blog!:)
Post a Comment